Thursday, November 02, 2006

Where Do I Begin?

Lets refresh some of my keys to the season from yesterday.

1. Free throw shooting:
Yesterday I mentioned that games in the NBA are won in the last five minutes of the game, and it is imperative to make the majority of those shots when the opportunity presents itself. I guess I failed to mention that NBA games can also be lost in the first and second quarters, by failing miserably to make free throws. The Dubs shot 64% from the line last night, 27-42. Horrendous really. It was painful to watch. Everything was short. They even missed the two technical free throws that they shot. A majority of those were in the first quarter. It was pitiful.

2. The Ebs and Flows of Mike Dunleavy:
Chalk it up to opening night jitters perhaps? I don't know. Dunleavy was noticibly absent in last night's game. His line:
4pts, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 turnover in 27 minutes. (is this a joke?)
This from our starting power forward.
He also combined with Troy Murphy to play matador defense on whomever he was guarding, including combining to help Ronnie Turiaf look like an all-star (23,9 and 3 in 32 min off the bench)

The Positives: (if any....)
I guess you could say the play of Monta Ellis off the bench was the only slight positive for the Dubs. Although many of his points came in garbage time when the outcome was already decided, he did hit all but one of his free throws, and continues to remain extremely poised for a a guy only 2 years removed from high school. He will be a player in this league.

Andris Biedrins: The dude can block shots. He currently leads in the NBA in blocked shots with 3. You may want to pick him up on your fantasy squad if play in a league with head to head match-up format with blocks as a category. Biedrins will also undoubtedly shoot a high percentage from the field again this year, which helps in fantasy. He also, only committed 3 fouls in 21 minutes. This is progress.

As for the Dubs as whole, I realize that last night was only 1 of 82. However I am a bit concerned. They layed a huge egg on opening night, and I was a frankly pissed off that I skipped my rec league game to attend such a awful display of pro basketball. The Dubs better rebound quickly, forget about last night and handle the trailblazers at home on Friday or else they could come back from the little 3 game roadie at Utah, Dallas and N.O. sitting at OOOOOHHHHH and Five.
Hopefully Greg Ogden is coming out at the end of the year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't ever refer to an Olympic Club League basketball game as a "rec league" game. I think you of all people should know this. And to avoid you further embarrassment for the rest of the season as the Dubs fight for the first pick in next year's draft...it's Greg Oden, not Ogden.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second what that poster said. An OC game is NEVER a rec league game. I agree with the highs and lows that gabe mentioned. I would say that they appeared far better at taking the ball to the hole for easy dishes and or layups than last year. Unfortunately they just strayed away from it and tried to be jump shooters.

I think that given opening night jitters, J-Rich's first game back, and an awful dsiplay from the free throw line and beyond and there is reason to think that this team just layed an egg, instead of shitting out their entire small intestine. Either way, it still stinks, but I am hoping for a one game fluke.

10:46 AM  
Blogger DailyDub said...

Apologies to all readers. I guess I should have known that most of you might be O.C. members yourselves, and for a moment, I was trying to retain an air of anonymity. That being thrown out the door, when this blog goes prime time, and the (Daily)Dub haters come after me cause they know where I handle court, well, that could be a problem. But for know, sorry for the misspelling of Oden.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home